Monday, October 6, 2014

The Ice Cream Queen and more

"The only thing worse than a Monday is a decaffeinated Monday." (Maxine,
DealDash).

Did you have real 100% proof coffee today? I'm trying to cut back to one cup of caffeine per day, but I can't say that it's going to be easy. I need the kick, the jolt that helps me say, "I can do this today. I can face whatever happens." After I've had my allotment of coffee, I feel much better.  It's more important, I think, now that Fall has arrived and these cool mornings very brisk. Coffee says, "You are now a warm, friendly person who has plenty of energy to do everything that you need and want to do today." So, friends, if you must choose decaffeinated coffee for medical or sleep reasons, at least buy some decaf whole beans and grind a pot every day. So, have a great Monday...and enjoy your hot drinks. Oh, and if you are a coffee drinker leave me your comments about what kind and brand that you prefer.



Today I'd like to discuss the book that I finished this weekend, The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman. Thank you, again, 'Nita in Tennessee, for recommending this historical novel. I've known 'Nita for almost 40 years and I'm pretty sure she knows what kind of books I enjoy. It's so fun for me to share the love of reading with friends like 'Nita. She hit a home-run on this one, and I will continue to rely on her for book recommendations from time to time. I also get book ideas from looking at the bestseller list, talking to my parents, and more. OK, so I digress...getting back to the Ice Cream Queen...The main character in the book is a Russian immigrant, Malka, whose family was from Vishnev. They had planned to travel to South Africa by ship but due to Malka's father's acts of foolishness, they ended up bound for America. While they had planned to seek out Uncle Hyram in South Africa, their relative who promised them jobs and provisions, Papa exchanged their S.A. tickets for American ones. Mama was furious when she found out, and she never forgave him.

As the story unfolds, the family has to live in a filthy, crowded apartment where Mama and Papa do small laundry and sewing work. They never have enough to eat, and even the young girls are expected to get out and work. Malka and one of her sisters start to sing and dance for strangers on the street in exchange for a penny. Three months after they arrived, five year old Malka, is hit by a horse and carriage, and so for the rest of her life her leg causes great pain and limping. She is sent to "rehab facilities" but no one ever shows her any love or attention. Of course, her parents can't afford to help her, and Papa has left them. So, Malka is taken in by a family who sells frozen treats, but there are still times when she is hungry. Mr. Dinello, the Italian man who accidentally hit her in the street, takes her in because he feels somewhat sympathetic and takes her home, knowing that his wife won't approve. Mind you, Malka doesn't speak English or Italian yet, but she learned "on the job." She never sees her parents after the accident, but she longs to see them, to be loved, and to know that her family is still alive. The former Jew is baptized as a Catholic, an her name is changed to "Lillian Dunkle." Next time I'll share my thoughts of what happened to Lillian after that. As I read this book, I couldn't help but think about the life of Frank McCourt, an Irish immigrant who suffered greatly in both Ireland and in the U.S. I noticed that Gilman partially dedicates this book to Frank McCourt, for obvious reasons. I recommend that you read all three of McCourt's autobiographical books, Angela's Ashes, 'Tis, and Teacher Man.

The next five books in my card catalog are as follows:

1. Adulting by Kelly Brown
2. It Was Always Africa by Pam Brown
3. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
4. Losing Mum and Pup by Christopher Buckley
5. The Blue Zones by Dan Buettner

 So have a great Monday, and have it your way!

-Melissa



2 comments: