Friday, October 3, 2014

Fall into Fall

 
Start Fresh this Fall: 5 Ways to Make the Most of Your NIH Training ...
 
 
Autumn has arrived here in North Carolina! It's the favorite season for many of us, including myself. The colors and so beautiful and the weather is cool. "Sweatshirt weather" is definitely my favorite type of weather. I saw a quote recently that says, "It's October, so you know what that means...Merry Christmas!" (someecards) While I don't feel that way, the retail industry has gotten out of hand and is getting out the holiday gifts, decorations, and music WAY too early. And besides, that's not what Christmas is all about anyway! Nevertheless, enjoy today for what it is without dreading, fearing, or even eagerly anticipating the future. Today is a gift. Take it, strive to have joy in it, and you will most likely have a beautiful Fall day.
 
Last time I wrote about some of the books in a series that I've read. There are many, many more of course. What books in a series have you read? And do you have a favorite author that keeps you seeking his/her books? I've read seven of Barbara Kingsolver's books, as I mentioned last time. I kept choosing her books because I enjoyed the first book that I read so much, The Poisonwood Bible. Incidentally, Kingsolver is from my home state originally, Kentucky, so we claim her. After I read a seventh book by her I wrote her a letter. She responded with a form letter, but it had her real, fresh signature on it! I understand that she's a very popular author who can't possibly answer all of her own mail, but at least she signed it! In the case of Kingsolver, I've enjoyed both her fiction and non-fiction works. Her non-fiction book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, was just as good as her novels. I've found that as I get older I read more and more non-fiction. I think it's because I enjoy reading about people's lives and the interesting experiences that they've had. But many of the biographies that I've read are about very ordinary people. They're fun to read because the author knows how to tell their story in a funny, inspiring way. One such book is by Mildred Armstrong Kalish, Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression. Kalish tells about the things that she experienced as a poor farm daughter, but in the end you feel good because not only did she survive her upbringing, but she found some humor in it. I definitely recommend this book. Was it ever a bestseller? Not that I know. Was it ever mentioned on "Oprah" or in the news? Nope. Sometimes this kind of book is a hidden gem that needs to be discovered. So look it up. I sent Kalish an email a few years ago and she quickly responded. It was a thrill to hear directly from her. In my email I had told her that I greatly enjoyed her book. I also brought up some theological issues that she alludes to in her book. I basically told her that I disagreed with many of her theological conclusions and told her that I found the Christian faith to be truthful and reliable. Her problem was that she was often forced to attend church, but the family members who forced her weren't living a Christian life themselves. A good writer doesn't mind if you disagree with them at times - they are just happy that they created some conversation. So, in light of this fact, please leave me your comments in the space below. Tell me what you like or don't like about my blog. I'd also like to know the titles that came to mind as you read today's post. I'd like to know your favorite series books, your top ten list, and just about anything you have to say.
 
And now for the next five books that are in my card catalog:
 
1. There's Still a Snake in My Garden by Briscoe
2. Memoirs of James Pedigru Boyce by Broadus
3. Year of Wonders by Brooks
4. How Can We Get Lily Rose to Settle Down? by Brown
5. The DaVinci Code by Brown
 
So, fall into Fall, and fall into a great book!
 
-Melissa


2 comments:

  1. Fall is also my favorite time of year!
    And, like you, when I find authors I really like, I read the heck out of them, even their obscure works. The Grapes of Wrath had me reading everything that Steinbeck published. Moby-Dick had me reading Melville's oeuvre. Freud, Adler, Peter Drucker, Paul Johnson, and dozens of others as well. In the mystery genre, that is doubly true -- I've really enjoyed Jonathan Gash's Lovejoy series, Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe, Sue Grafton's Alphabet series, Simenon's Maigret series, and John D. McDonald's Travis McGee series, which I'm going through a second time now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, Art Garfunkel has also been tracking his reading over the years, and has posted his list here. He is both glutton and epicure of the printed word.

    ReplyDelete