Saturday, February 27, 2016

What I Think

"Books and movies are like apples and oranges. They both are fruit, but taste completely different." -Stephen King (www.goodreads.com)

Hmm...I do believe that I agree with Stephen King here. Sometimes I'm overjoyed to find out that one of my favorite books is going to be made into a movie. And then when I actually see the movie, I might like it or dislike it, either one. So here's what I think.

I read the book Room several years ago and it was absolutely horrifying. As a person who is claustrophobic and cannot fathom being locked in a small room for years, I was totally horrified at the suffering that a young woman and her child endured. I can say without a doubt, that no one needs to see this type of suffering. I do not plan to see this movie, and if you're thinking about it, I suggest that you read the book first. The plot doesn't need to be made any more vivid in our minds. Sadly, this book depicts an all-too-true scene that many people endure around the world as they are held as slaves for many years. I won't see the movie, for sure.

In earlier posts I've discussed some of the books that were made into movies and they are actually good dramatic representations of the plots. I like the movie versions of The Wizard of Oz, Unbroken, The Hiding Place, The Chronicles of Narnia, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Grapes of Wrath, The DaVinci Code, Murder on the Orient Express, Eat, Pray, and Love, The Book Thief, The Help and others. I enjoyed them all. Granted, sometimes we are disappointed because a movie just doesn't have enough details and we want to add something because we know how it really happened in the book. These are just some of the ones that I enjoyed very much.

There are some books that I would love to see on the big screen if they were made into movies. I'd like to see The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver as a movie. Kingsolver is a native of my own state, Kentucky, and I've read many of her fantastic books, both fiction and non-fiction. I think The Poisonwood Bible is one of the best novels that I have ever read, and I think it has enough details to make a great movie as well. But if Hollywood made it into a movie, they would probably downplay the spiritual aspects of the book which I believe are very important to the plot. Hollywood doesn't make many movies about Christianity, so they would run from this one. 

There are other books that would make great movies. How would you like to see The Boys in the Boat on the big screen? Or how about Swimming Across by Andrew S. Grove? Both of these nonfiction books tell fascinating stories of struggle, the quest for an education, and success. I think they'd both would make amazing movies. Both of these books are on my nonfiction top-ten-list. Another book in this category is The Wright Brothers by David McCullough. I think Hollywood could make a good epic film based on the lives of these two inventor brothers. For fiction I'd like to see Edgar Sawtelle and Cutting for Stone on the big screen. These are wonderful stories that are written so well that they are on my top ten-best-novels list. These novels have so many of the important elements of a great novel. They have well-developed characterization, characters who change and grow, vivid language, rising and falling action, and emotional energy. If you haven't read Edgar Sawtelle, I recommend it strongly. you will find yourself engrossed completely in the story of a boy, his dogs, his parents, and the love that holds them all together. Cutting for Stone is the story of a doctor in Asia (Dr. Stone), a nun, twin brothers, and many intriguing characters who lovingly serve the very poorest people in their community. It has more than enough plot to make an amazing movie.

Last week I finished listening to the book What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell.  I enjoyed this book and was sad to finish it. It's a collection of stories that Gladwell published in The New Yorker, and as such he discusses things such as the trends in violent dogs, inventions and their rise to popularity, and hair dye. If you are a good observer of ordinary things in our society, you will enjoy this book. Gladwell has a great curiosity about almost everything that he sees. He even ponders the question, Why are there several kinds of mustard on the market, but only one kind of ketchup? Inquiring minds sure want to know. 

I'm listening to a mystery by Janet Evanovich called Notorious Nineteen. It's definitely not my kind of novel, but when you're in a hurry you just pick up almost anything at the library. It's got some language that I don't like to hear and the characters aren't exactly "lovable," but I'll stay with it. After all, at least it's a story and I do enjoy stories.

 I hope you're having a good weekend. Sadly, basketball season will soon come to a close, and I'm not sure how my three teams are going to do, but I'm sure I'll find something else fun to do.

Have a great weekend,

Melissa Hill
Book Blogger
www.onegoodbookblog.blogspot.com
 
"I need warm weather and sunshine. When will I get to Atlantic Beach again?"



 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post, Melissa. Got me thinking. Usually, the book beats the movie, no contest. I couldn't put Ender's Game, the book, down. Literally, I kept at it one time until I had to pee so bad that I was forced to put it down or explode. Ender's Game, the movie, sucked. Really sucked. I don't know if I would have found it so bad if I hadn't read the book, though.

    Here are a couple when I think the film version beat the printed page. John le Carré's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People were both excellent reads. Brilliantly done. However, the BBC mini-series film versions starring Alec Guinness, were even better, believe it or not.

    Also, I enjoyed Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book but Disney's version is even more of a masterpiece (barely resembling the original at all) and I am truly looking forward to the remake in photorealistic CGI coming out soon.

    The BBC series Brideshead Revisited was just about as good as Evelyn Waugh's book, I think. A lot was left out, but the writers and actors did a good job with what wasn't cut.

    I know you've noticed this too, but a really good reader reading a book on CD also enhances the book. Jonathan Cecil reading P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves series! It doesn't get any better than that :-)

    ReplyDelete