Monday, January 4, 2016

New Year, New Books

"You must do the things you think you cannot do."
 
-Eleanor Roosevelt (Brainy Quote)
 
 
Anna) Eleanor ROOSEVELT - Bob Quasius
 
 
 
Today is Monday, January 4, 2016. Many people are going back to school and work today after a long break. There are also those people who only had a few days off for the holiday. Whatever the case in your life, let's be thankful that we have jobs, homes, schools, and churches that help us take care of our lives. If you have a lot to do today, be thankful, because many people are not able to do anything and are left to feel lonely and bored.
 
I aspire to be productive as an ESL teacher, a parent, and a Christian. Perhaps you made a resolution for the year and see this as a new beginning. It's a good time to "clean house" and get back to the basics of life. I've never thought much of resolutions because they often end up poorly, so I don't make them. I do have some things that I would like to improve in my life, but I keep those to myself. You probably have some thoughts like these in your own life. I like many of the quotes of Eleanor Roosevelt, especially the one above, and I agree completely with what she is saying. If I have never done something that I can't do, then I haven't challenged myself at all. This is how we grow as a person....we face challenges whether they be physical, emotional, or whatever, and we try our best. We surprise ourselves when we do things that we shouldn't really be able to do. Be sure to stay away from people who discourage you from challenging yourself because they are lethal. So let me challenge you today to do something this week that you shouldn't really be able to do. I think you will surprise yourself at what you can do.
 
Some people resolve to read more books in a new year. I, myself, am always reading so I've never challenged myself in this way. I just hope that I can find the BEST books for me, books that pull me in and teach me. I don't go for romances, mysteries, or science fiction, but I have read a few of these along the way. As you know, my favorite genre right now is historical fiction, and I love historical non-fiction as well. I'm looking forward to reading David McCullough's book about the Brooklyn Bridge as soon as it's available from the library.
 
Over the holiday I read a book called The Round House by Louise Erdrich. This book is a National Book Award Winner. It's about a crime that was committed on a Native American reservation in the west in North Dakota. The woman who is attacked survives, but she and her family must come to grips with what has happened. I can't tell you the ending but I can say that the couple has a 13 year old son who gets involved in finding out who the attacker is. He is forced to act like an adult before he is ready to do so, The book is set in 1988. It's very well-written and flows smoothly. I think the setting of North Dakota makes for an interesting story, and the Native American characters allow the reader to learn something new. I haven't read too many books that are about Native Americans in North Dakota, so it makes for an interesting read. I wouldn't say that I really "enjoyed" this book, but I'm glad I read it. It brought back memories of a trip that our family made to Arizona and New Mexico about ten years ago. It was interesting to see many Native Americans and to learn about their past and present.
 
I'm currently reading a good book called People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. I borrowed it from my mother in Kentucky, and it hasn't been a disappointment. This book has been a New York Times Bestseller, and I can see why. The chapters go back and forth to different times in history, but the main character is Hannah Heath, an Australian rare book expert. She is asked to travel to Sarajevo to study the Jewish rare book, the Sarajevo Haggadah. She dives into the history of the book as she finds a butterfly wing and other small items inside the book that take her back to the many people who may have come into contact with the book in the past centuries. Although I haven't finished the book, I can tell that the main purpose of the book is to tell a story about real people, both ordinary and not-so-ordinary, who have had something to do with the Haggadah. I'm enjoying this book a lot, but I'll soon need another one to read, so PLEASE, PLEASE send me your book suggestions.
 
Now for just a personal tidbit...I enjoy the nice surprises of life, and yesterday I had one of those. When I was walking for exercise, I came across five deer in the neighborhood near my house, Ashfield Place. At first I saw only four deer and was able to get a picture, but after I passed I heard more rustling in the woods so I quickly turned around and got a picture of the poor guy who got left behind. I'm sympathetic toward the deer that roam near home, because they are running out of good places to live. They are plentiful here in North Durham, and I always enjoy seeing them. I wish we weren't destroying their natural habitat.
 
Have a wonderful first week of 2016.
 
-Melissa Hill
Book Blogger
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Melissa. I love it when I chance upon wild creatures, too. I thought that I had read something by Louise Erdrich, but checking my list, I guess not.

    The best books I read in 2015 include Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Hariri, How to Fly a Horse: The secret history of Creation, Invention, and Discovery, by Kevin Ashton, and Walter Isaacson's The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution. The only fiction I read (re-read, actually) was John D. MacDonald mysteries. So I didn't run across anything I'd enthusiastically recommend for you. Cheers, though.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, Rod, thanks for your comment. I enjoy knowing what you are reading.

      Delete