Friday, September 25, 2015

Rainy Weekend - why not read a good book?


Image result for jane austen photo

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austin


Who doesn't love Jane Austen? Her language is so lucid and beautiful, and in this quote she is a straight-shooter. I must agree with her, although I wouldn't actually call anyone "stupid." There are so many great novels to enjoy, and I've discussed many of them here. I've realized that the genres I enjoy have changed over the years, but I can't pass up a good novel that has been recommended to me. If the book is a historical novel, all the better. A good novel is enjoyed for the great story that it is, but it also is a beautiful work of art that has been very carefully crafted. Some of my all-time favorite novels are The Poisonwood Bible, Edgar Sawtelle, A Prayer for Owen Meany, Cutting for Stone, The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street, Huckleberry Finn, and Uncle Tom's Cabin. What is on your list of favorite novels?

During the past few weeks I've enjoyed writing about my grandparents on both sides of my family. I hope it has invoked memories of your own grandparents. My adult children don't have many memories of their great-grandparents, so I enjoy telling them about them. They might roll their eyes occasionally, but I think they need to know something about this part of their heritage. I have so many stories that I could share of my grandparents - too many stories and so little time. One thing that I remember about Grandmother Brame is that she was a great cook and liked to buy us clothes. She made the best milkshakes and bought potato chips in large cans. We spent a lot of time at her homes in Madisonville, Ky and Hopkinsville, Ky. I cherish every memory.

I want to share that one of my readers enjoyed a book that I recently read, Rising Strong. It's good to know that readers find this blog enjoyable and useful at the same time. If you are reading a good book, you can leave a comment below and I'll look at it to see if I want to read it. Some people keep a running list of books that they want to read, but I just look for one or two at a time. Right now I'm on a long waiting list at the library to get John McCullough's book about the building of the Brooklyn Bridge. I might be a year older before I get it, but it gives me something to look forward to. I've read several of McCullough's books and I haven't been disappointed yet.

This morning I swam laps at a public indoor poor here in Durham, NC. I've been going there for several months. Although it seems difficult to get myself down there, once I get into the heated water, I feel great. Sure, the old shoulder bothered me, but it was very relaxing. I try to exercise several times per week, and now I've added swimming to my routine. I alternate it with brisk walking. All of my adult life I've been sort of "obsessed" with getting regular exercise. It's really the best medicine that there is.

Next time I think I'll write about some of the best autobiographies that I've read. Some of them are well-known, but over the years I've also found some lesser-known books that have been fun to read.

Here are the next ten books that I've read since 1984 (with a few brief comments):

1. Love is a Decision by Gary Smalley & John Trent
2. The All-True Travels and Adventures of Lidia Newton by Jane Smiley
3. Some Luck by Jane Smiley
4. The Double Comfort Safari Club by Alexander Smith
5. Love Over Scotland by Alexander Smith (Fun to listen to on CD after you've been to Scotland)
6. The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander Smith
7. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (I recommend this classic!)
8. The Lost Girls by Lee Smith
9. My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor (a very interesting autobiography)
10. The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks (I can't believe that I read a book like this!)

Have a great weekend,

Melissa Hill
Book Blogger
www.onegoodbookblog.blogspot.com
Used books on Amazon.com: mch seller

1 comment:

  1. Some all time favorite novels that come to mind:
    - Moby Dick
    - All the King's Men, Robt Penn Warren
    - Brothers Karamazov, Dostoevsky
    - Catch 22, Joseph Heller
    - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Ken Kesey

    Favorite Autobiographies:
    - Benjamin Franklin's
    - the autobiographical writings of Mark Twain, like Life on the Mississippi and Roughing It.

    ReplyDelete