Friday, March 6, 2015

Two Books - Two Purposes



This week I finished reading The Bridge on the Drina, a historical novel written by Ivo Andric, a Yugoslavian, and translated by Lovett F. Edwards. This book was not easy to find, but since a reader recommended it, I wanted to give it a try. First, I searched in our public library system, but they did not have it. Then I looked...where else...on Amazon.com, and found a few used copies there, but there were no new copies. Since I like to get my books free or very cheap, I was perfectly happy to buy a used copy. But after three weeks of reading this book, the book is completely torn into two pieces and is headed to the recycling bin soon. Maybe I shouldn't have "drug" it to so many different places, placed it in my purse, etc. It looks like our beagle-mix attacked it, but maybe that's a sign of a book that has been well-used. This book is definitely not "light reading," but I'm glad that I read it because of the history that is depicted within. I'll admit that there are parts of the book that I don't understand, but I did come away with an appreciation for what people have gone through to gain what all humans want, things like peace, joy, laughter, an purpose in life. The violent history of the Balkans from the early sixteenth century to WW I is told as the people dealt with wars and executions as well as times of prosperity. It took the people many, many years to complete the bridge on the Drina, and many men were abused in the process when they were forced to work against their wills. But when at last the bridge was completed, it became a place for daily social gatherings. Also, the bridge made life easier in many ways since it united the two parts of the Sarajevo road and linked the town with its surrounding villages. This made travel easier and safer.

Image result for the bridge on the drina

I've also been reading I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella. I'm listening to this library recording while driving around and it's totally hilarious, as are all of Kinsella's books that I've read. If her name doesn't sound familiar, you've probably heard of the movie, "Confessions of a Shopaholic" starring Isla Fisher. The movie is based on the series of Shopaholic books. Kinsella's books take place in England and are full of British words and sayings. I've Got Your Number is about a woman in her late 20s, Poppy Wyatt, who loses her emerald engagement ring and then begins to tell multiple lies in order to cover up what she's done. She's suppose to be a physical therapist by day, but it doesn't seem like she ever goes to work because she's constantly meddling in other people's lives. I'm glad that I chose this book to listen to in the car, because it's fun and doesn't require a great deal of concentration - we all need some light reading at times. So, while I'm glad I read The Bridge on the Drina, I'm enjoying Kinsella's book more. If you've read either one of these books, I'd like to know what you thought of the books. You can write your thoughts in the comment section below.

What should I read next? I have one that belongs to my parents in Kentucky, and they usually loan me books that they think I'll enjoy, but it's always risky to start a new book. I don't like to waste time and so I only want to read books that challenge me and cause me to dig deeply into my own spirit. I love books like The Poisonwood Bible, Edgar Sawtelle, A Prayer for Owen Meany, and Cutting For Stone because they are stories about characters who are strong beyond measure. These characters think deeply and feel intensely. Then, of course, there's the beauty of the writing in these great novels that allows the stories to flow easily throughout time. So, please, please, please...share a good book with me so that I can enjoy it as I have so many others.

Now for the next ten list of books that I've read since 1984:

1. Skipping Christmas by John Grisham
2. The Summons by John Grisham
3. The Testament by John Grisham
4. The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
5. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
6. My Life in Orange by Tim Guest (it's about a man who grew up in a cult)
7. The Year the Colored Sisters Came to Town by Jacqueline Guidry
8. Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
9. The curious incident of the dog in the night-time by Mark Haddon
10. Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall & Denver Moore

Have a warm weekend, wherever you are...Melissa

P.S. I got two final Jeopardy answers correct this week and very few of the contestants got them right! Here are the questions, rephrased:

What state name can you type using just one row on the keyboard?
Who was president when President Obama was born?

I thought the questions were easy, but apparently the contestants disagreed. Tell me your answers, and no using the internet!






No comments:

Post a Comment