Saturday, January 24, 2015

Free trips!

"I love books. I love that moment when you open one and sink into it you can escape from the world, into a story that's way more interesting than yours will ever be." -Elisabeth Scott

One of the reasons that I love to read is that it allows me to go on a free trip. You probably didn't know that I've been to Mexico, Alaska, Africa, and all over Europe. I've sailed oceans. I've run across the jungles of Mexico. I've fought in wars. I've lived on a farm and built a cabin. I've met interesting characters in every single one of these places. I've learned a lot from the people whom I've met. I've observed their emotional struggles, painful pasts, and war-torn struggles. I've found strength in each one of them as I've learned that they are not perfect people, but they are incredibly strong and resilient people. Ok, so I haven't actually be to all of those places. My own real life is not nearly as audacious, but it hasn't exactly been a sleeper either. I have gotten to visit a few countries and I've actually been to Alaska. But by reading books, newspapers, and magazines allows me to "visit" many more places than I will ever get to visit in person. I know it's not quite the same, but reading allows me to come in contact with people who live in various communities in various time periods. 

El Camino de Santiago is for the adventurous!

So what's on my bucket list for traveling? Well, that's a pretty easy question for me. I want to visit Machu Pichu in Peru, and I want to hike some of the famous pilgrimage trail, El Camino De Santiago (most likely the part that is in Spain). I've read books set in these areas, and I've seen movies about them. These are definitely my top two dreams for myself, and not far behind is my desire to visit Ireland. Will I ever actually travel to any of these places? Absolutely! I have every intention of doing so within the next few years. Locally, my dreams are to buy a small cabin in the North Carolina mountains and to take up knitting. Who knows - maybe I'll do every one of these things!

This week I had the rare opportunity to go to a movie by myself. I went to see "Wild!" with Reese Witherspoon. I read the book by Cheryl Strayed a few years ago, and I found it to be quite inspiring. So I decided to give the movie a try. I found the movie to be very close to the scenes that I remembered from the book, so that was very refreshing. Many times I've found that the movie that is based on a book is a let-down, but not this time. If you enjoy inspiring stories of courage, strength, and determination, you will enjoy this book and movie. The movie is rated R, so don't take your young children to see it. 

Yesterday I finished reading the book Home: A Novel by Marilynne Robinson. You may know some of the other books by Robinson, Gilead and Lila. Home is about the Boughton family and their emotional struggles as a family. Glory, Jack, and their dad live together temporarily, and they struggle to deal with things that happened in their past. Mr. Boughton is a retired Presbyterian minister, and as he is now in his later years, he must rely on two of his grown children to take care of him. If you enjoy novels that deal with family and psychological issues, you will like this book. As for me, I think I'd rather read another good historical novel about now. So that's why I downloaded the book, Pastel Orphans, y Gemma Liviero. This WW novel is set in World War II, so I know I will continue to learn a lot. I seem to be in a pattern of reading books set in Europe during WW II, but I've had an adventure with each book. Incidentally, I'm always in need of book suggestions, so please leave your comments. I like to stay a step ahead so that I have my next book in the lineup. I have requested a couple of books from the library but it looks like it will be a long time before I'll get Some Luck by Jane Smiley and Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

 Now for the next ten books that I've read since 1984:


1. Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich
2. Epic by John Eldredge
3. No Mortal Reason by Kathy Lynn Emerson
4. Miles to Go by Richard Evans
5. Decision Making and the Bible by Edward Everding and Dana Wilbanks
6. Will the Real Me Please Stand Up! by Lee Ezell
7. Peace Like a River by Leif Enger

8. Called to Die by Steve Estes
9. Annie Armstrong by Elizabeth Marshall Evans
10. The Smoke Jumper by Nicholas Evans

If you've read any of these books on my list, or if you've read any of the books that I've discussed, I'd love to get your feedback! Meanwhile, keep on reading...

Melissa

4 comments:

  1. Nice blog entry, Melissa.
    As an undergrad, I had a class in the history of the Balkans. The prof had us read an historical novel -- The Bridge on the Drina, by Ivo Andrić. It was really powerful and I would recommend it except for that fact that there is an all too realistic description of an impaling that haunted me for years. :-(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Rod. I will keep this historical novel in mind. I always appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Melissa for sharing your love of adventure! You breathed life into a book that I woukd not have found!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I REALLY, REALLY appreciate your comment! A million thanks for finding my blog. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Stay tuned for much more. My goal is always to write at least one new post per week. I hope you're in an area where the weather is good today.

      Delete