Friday, September 5, 2014

Weekend thoughts...

"I dream that one day I would be a published writer and people would read my books - if not, I would be living in the mountains in a small hut, near a pond where swans swim, writing a diary for myself." (Srindhi.R).

It would be so fun to retreat to a mountain house this weekend, but although I don't have such a place to visit, I do get to do something fun this weekend. Tomorrow I'm riding to my daughter's college with a friend whose son also attends there. I last saw my daughter just 2 weeks ago, but I'm looking forward to taking her some muffins and other things and just spending some time with this amazing creature who warms my heart every time that I see her. A day trip to Boiling Springs, NC will be great. I wish it were a little closer though - the 3 1.2 hours one way is tiring but can be done occasionally.

Have you ever dreamed about writing a book of some kind? Many of us who love to read also would like to write a book. People like us have a lot of thoughts to share because we are thinkers who contemplate on many subjects. Although some of my Bible study work for teenagers was published in 1993, I would also like to write some other type of work such as poetry, magazine articles, or something else. If you were published, what would be your genre? I would love to have your thoughts on this. I'd also like to know WHY you have thought about writing this.

And now...the next 5 books in my card catalog of books read since 1984:

The New Lottie Moon Story by C. Allen
I Gave God Time by A. Anderson
Alias Grace by M. Atwood
, by Laura Hillen
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin

What are your thoughts on these books? Like or dislike, and why? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I heard recently that one of my favorite books will soon come out as a movie, Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand. This book is am amazing biography of Louis Zamperini, a survivor of WW II. The book is undoubtedly a better rendition, but I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. Louis Zamperini survived as a POW against unspeakable atrocities, and he found his way to genuine peace and joy. Have you read the book? If so, what did you think? Do you plan to see the movie this Fall?




In my next entry I'd like to discuss a great novel, Cutting For Stone, by Abraham Verghese. I'm looking forward to reflecting on this book that I consider to be a very sound and complete novel. It should definitely be on your reading list. Until next time...keep on reflecting....

No comments:

Post a Comment