Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Reading and Writing again...can't wait!

"The secret of the mountains is that the mountains simply exist, as I do myself: the mountains exist simply, which I do not. The mountains have no 'meaning,' they are meaning; the mountains are. The sun is round. I ring with life, and the mountains ring, and when I can hear it, there is a ringing that we share." -Peter Matthiessen, The Snow Leopard.

Do you know any secrets? Do your friends tell you secrets, confident in knowing that their secret is safe with you? Perhaps that's why I enjoy reading so much. There is always something to learn in a book, and some of it is not even expected. A book is like a hidden treasure that must be carefully opened before one can see and marvel at the contents within. It is a great joy for me to continue sharing some of the secrets that I have discovered in many great books through the years, dating back to 1984 when I began to record every book that I have  read. In these 30 years, I have read 430 books, which is an average of more than 14 books each year. In each and every book I have learned something about human nature, history, and truth. I have learned many facts along the way as well. I have seen both the good and the bad in characters and historical figures, people who are sometimes more similar to me than I will admit. I hope that as you read my posts you will be challenged to climb the mountains in your life without fear or any type of hesitation. Don't look back...just listen to your dreams and aspirations. Seek joy and you will surely find it.

I am currently reading a historical novel entitled Paris by Edward Rutherford. This book was published in 2013, and if you bought the book then, you might still be reading its 805 pages! But if you haven't read it, I do recommend that you put it on your reading list because it's a wonderful read. The book follows several well-developed characters throughout different time periods. For example, the earliest characters live in the year 1261, and there is action taking place as late as 1940. So, if you remember your French history, you will remember King Louis IX as well as all of the other kings of France throughout these years. Some chapters take place during the building of the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty, and you will learn about the building of these as seen through the eyes of the character, Thomas, who was on the construction crew of both of these. Other characters in the novel include Roland de Cygne, Luc Gascon, Edith, Jacob, Simon Renard, and many others. There are references to historical figures such as Napolean, the kings of France, Monet, and others.

Although this book is lengthy, I think you will enjoy it. Since I was able to visit Paris in 2012, I was able to envision some of the sites in the book a little more clearly than I might otherwise. But Rutherford is an amazing author whose words flow easily and naturally, and I think this will allow every reader to picture all of the action in Paris.

So, my thought for today...read! There is so much out there for us to enjoy. Make time to do whatever you love to do - there is so much to enjoy. And find someone else who enjoys the same things that you do because sharing doubles the fun!


2 comments:

  1. Glad to see new postings here -- always interesting. It's true that having visited the location of a book's setting enhances the experience of reading and adds depth to the memory of the location as well. Wish I had kept track of my readings through the years like you have -- I only started that habit in 2005.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paris sounds like a really interesting book. I'll have to put it on my list of books to read!

    ReplyDelete